A grant application is submitted via the electronic grant system. The applicant must first sign up as a user of the system. The theme and field of the research as well as one of the following intended uses are to be selected:
Previously awarded grants or grant applications submitted to other funds but currently pending must be mentioned in the application. The application and its required attachments are submitted electronically only. The application system is closed at the end of the application period on August 15, 2018 at 24 p.m. (+ 3 UTC).
Read more on the characteristics of a good application: Application guidelines.
It is important to get a statement from the supervising professor especially when applying for a grant for doctoral studies. The supervisor is required to submit a statement no later than August 15 in the electronic reference system. The statement may be in Finnish or in English.
Please add in the numbered order attachments 1.-3., or, depending on your application attachments 1.-4.
(1) a one-page project presentation (the research or study plan in a “nut shell” including estimated costs)
(2) an up-to-date research or study plan of a maximum length of 3–5 pages including the objectives and methods of the research as well as an estimated project schedule and a funding plan
(3) a curriculum vitae (CV)
(4) depending on the application possibly one of the following:
– a notice of approval or invitation by the organizer in charge for conferences and other trips if taking place already in 2018 (as of October 1)
– a one-page intermediate report when applying for a continuation grant in a project previously supported by the Foundation for Economic Education (accomplished results and future goals)
– a work certificate or educational diplom specifically worthy of mention with regard to the project (neither Master’s nor Doctoral degree certificates are to be submitted).
A grant can be awarded for a period up to 12 months. Other durations are also applicable according to the instructions given in the electronic system. Doctoral and post doc researchers may, in addition to the working grant, apply for a conference or travel grant in conjunction with academic studies. If a grant is applied for a project for which the Foundation for Economic Education has already awarded a grant during a previous round, an intermediate report on the project must be submitted as an attachment.
The full-year working grants in the Foundation for Economic Education 2018 grant round are:
• Doctoral researchers: 20.000 euro
• Post doc researchers: 30.000 euro
– doctoral and post doctoral researchers may in addition apply for one conference or study travel grant with a separate application
• Research groups: 50.000-100.000 euro
– if employing supporting staff the project superviser is responsible for organizing the statutory social security
The grant amount to be awarded depends, among other things, on the content of the work or study plan, the length of possible study leave and the applicant’s other sources of financing. The study plan shall itemize the amount considered reasonable by the applicant, and the awarded grant amount may be lower than applied. The working grants shall include the statutory pension insurance (Myel) and the eventual costs incurred in working.
The scientific experts and regional committees of the Foundation for Economic Education assess the applications gradually during the autumn following the application period. The autumn meeting of the Foundation for Economic Education Board of Directors decides on the grants based on the proposal of the grant committee, after which the list of grants awarded will be posted on the Foundation’s website at the latest at the end of November. Apart from the Foundation’s website, grants will be announced in the press as well. Grant recipients will be sent an email or an approval letter by post. The Foundation for Economic Education does not justify separate grant decisions.
It is important to tell the wider public what is achieved with the Foundation for Economic Education grants. A researcher is thus, upon request, to write about his/her project on the Grant Blog column of the Foundation for Economic Education. The blog will contribute to the awareness and visibility of the project in the wide network of business and economics science. Along with their first blog post, writers are expected to provide a brief presentation of themselves and of their research as well as a photograph. Further illustrations can be included in the blog by sending images with the texts.
For further information, please contact: apurahat(at)lsr.fi